Chicago: Powers, Fowler and Lewis, (1896). Cloth covered wooden case measuring approximately 16" x 16" x 2". Folds out to reveal a movable, double roller screen mechanism, set into an upper and lower section of the vertical portion of the dispaly. A color illustrated card frames the screens' illustrations and a hand crank moves through 20 color plates measuring approximately 9" x 6" each at the upper opening. The lower opening reveals an additional 132 color plates, three to a row, each measuring approximately 4 1/4" x 3". The horizontal portion of the unfolded assembly mounted with an instructional leaf of scroll use and two booklets bound together; one with detailed descriptions of the scroll's smaller, illustrations, the other with common questions and answers on the scriptures as well as detailed descriptions of the larger plates. With four color map plates on card, of the Holy Land and its enviorns bound in between. Two additional, cloth hinged card leaves cover the scroll when not in use: one a title illustration, the other an illustrated map of biblical countries. Mild handling wear, outer cloth worn at corners, edges. Scroll mechanism fully functioning, with original turning key; scroll paper about fine. Overall clean, well preserved. Very good. Item #15564
An elaborate, portable classroom teaching aid featuring over 150 color chromolithograph religious illustrations on a movable double roller screen assembly. The plates at the lower portion of the screen are among the earliest known, commercial work of prominent early 20th century illustrator, J.C. Leyendecker, produced while living in Chicago at age 19. Originally commissioned by the publisher for an illustrated version of the bible in 1894, the 132 images attributed to him here represent more than twice the output of 60 plates known to have been published in their first appearance. OCLC notes only two holdings, one at Ohio Wesleyan University, the other at the Chicago's Harold Washington Library. Rare.